Amazon Retail Hardlines Group, Wedding Registry
Interaction design, Responsive design, Use case, Ideation, Wireframing, Visual design, Iteration, Parallel prototyping, Product/Service design, Scrum, JIRA
Pen & Paper, Axure RP, Illustrator, Photoshop
Hi-fi mockups, Interactive prototype, Redline specs
Please see previous slide
Goal: How to design a good parity product on mobile for an existing web product? This is one of the design challenges I took ownership on during my full-time internship at Amazon. Wedding Registry is an existing gifting product for engaged couples to use on Amazon’s online shopping site, and the team wants to transition the product usage into the mobile space. The new Mobile Wedding Registry needs to provide engaged couples the ability to create, add, manage, and add items they wish to have to their wedding registry on a mobile device.
Due to NDA, I can't provide much details of my work as some of the features are not yet released by Amazon.com.
To start with:
Very low legibility for the product landing experience
Very low legibility for the experience of exploring "most registered for products " on mobile
Not able to manage wedding registry settings or personal preferences on mobile
Not able to add items into wedding registry on mobile
Not able to view registry and customize registry related actions on mobile
Before kicking off the design for mobile, wedding registry can only support a non-adaptive view on mobile devices. All elements are just a “shrunk size” of the web version on the mobile screen, or simply just not available to access.
I also converted the lo-fi wireframes into hi-fi interactive mock-ups in Axure. (Please understand that I cannot share Axure prototypes due to NDA, as some V2.0 features on them are not yet released)
I completed 14 rounds of iterations on the 40+ wireframes, for both the M.V.P & follow up releases.
Why so many iterations?
In an agile development process, I found it very helpful to act first, get hands dirty, get people’s feedback, get communications on going, and learn by doing it – in the process, as a designer I am like an “educational coach”, who thinks things through and able to help the team overcome uncertainties. Also during iteration, I become more comprehensive to even cover every tiny edge cases.
In this project I had a chance to help my team keep from fixating on a design direction too early towards a less superior result, by parallel prototyping, where I had the team considered a range of potential design ideas simultaneously before selecting and refining one specific design approach.
When considering a suggested way to help users add items to their registry, especially when the registry has few items, various ideas appeared regarding how to showcase hierarchical content, while still encouraging users to browse featured contents and take a quick action.
I quickly and independently created a range of low-fidelity prototypes, mocked up in an interactive way, and then submitted designs to testing by end users and heuristic evaluation by experts. I observed during the internal critiques, my parallel prototypes helped designers to thoughtfully reflect and consider how people react to individual elements of the design, and which accomplish the intended goals of the project.
This way, I shifted focus from the designer onto the design, as well as promoting team collaboration and building rapport.
To hand off to the developers, I also created redlined design specs to clarify both content logics and visual languages. Below are sample work I did for the minimum viable product (M.V.P).